Parent / Guardian School Closure Note (click note to view)
How to connect a Laptop or Chrome Book to a Mobile Phone "Hotspot" for internet access at home:
- Android / Google phone users click here for tutorial video
- (then watch 2nd half of iPhone video below for Chrome Book Wi-Fi connection tutorial )
- iPhone users click here for tutorial video
YouTube videos are found in links above. Reading guide tutorial below. (click image to view)
ChromeBook Loan Agreement Form (click image to open to view / print)
Ideas / Suggestions / Resources
Make a schedule for weekdays--keeping time as structured and consistent as possible will help EVERYONE.
(currently) Free Online Resources
- Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing. Sorted by grade level! (Pre-K - K --- 1-2 --- 3-5 --- 6+)
- additional Schoolastic information - click here
- Spellingcity.com is free right now with code VSCFree90
- Health, the Arts, Science, Math, and... Sesame Street and Wild Kratts too!
- Adventure game that rewards characters and unlocks levels by completing Math problems!
- For student 12 and under, Coolmath4Kids is an amusement park of games, lessons and more, designed to teach math and make it FUN.
- Coolmath.com offers "math for ages 13-100" -- explanations that are easy to grasp on topics like algebra, pre-calculus and more.
Go Noodle (physical education)
- GoNoodle engages 14 million kids every month with movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. Available for free at school, home, and everywhere kids are!
- Phonics Hero teaches school-aged children to read and spell with systematic phonics. Using a step-by-step approach, the 850 games teach children the 44 sounds, the reading and spelling of words, and how to conquer sentences. Available on tablets and computers.
- 30 days full free access. Obligation free; no payment details taken. On signing up, teacher inputs student names (first name is fine) and will be provided with a list of logins to distribute to students.
- A unique online and in-class teaching, assessment and parental engagement system that brings together students, teachers and parents to improve children's learning at primary school. We provide each with integrated tools to help them be the best they can possibly be, every single day.
- Free access for the remainder of the academic year.
- Child behavior and development information related to education and psychology is available in learning video format. Specific strategies to help with school closings is being posted.
- Independent Study Packets: A week’s worth of offline activities tailored to grade levels covering English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies for K-5. Ready to print or for teachers to email as a PDF to their families. Weeks 2 and 3 are on their way. https://www.education.com/workbooks/independent/
- Weekly Boost:Grade specific, educator-curated bundles of resources matched to the school year. The week can be downloaded all at once to make a learning packet. https://www.education.com/weekly-boost
- Guided Lessons: Sets of digital games, songs, and stories grouped by key skills. https://www.education.com/games/play
- Google Arts & Culture teamed up with over 500 museums/galleries around the world to bring everyone virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world.
- Free virtual tours of 12 famous museums
- Pre-K - 2nd grade. The Step-by-Step Learning Path presents the full ABCmouse.com curriculum in a carefully designed program of more than 850 lessons in ten levels. As your child completes each lesson, he or she is guided to the next one and is motivated to continue learning by ABCmouse.com's Tickets and Rewards System.
- 30-day free trial
Planning Resources FOR PARENTS
(from the Learning Technology Center of Illinois)
Schools are Closing. Now What? (article)